Progress, slow and steady

So the last couple days I feel like I’ve turned a corner in the healing department.  Of course, I may say tomorrow that my foot feels worse than ever and I will never run again, but for now, stick with me.  A couple of weeks ago a friend suggested I put some of these in my shoe to support the cuboid.


They’re meant to go under the metatarsals but work just fine under the cuboid too.  And just to refresh your memory, this is the cuboid and where the pad should go:


  The first time I put one in my shoe, my whole foot started hurting within an hour of wearing them and I took it out worried I was doing more damage.  After limping around for a couple days after the July 4th race, I decided to give them another try.  And this time, I decided I was going to give it a full week.  I know it can take a while to get used to orthotics, so I wanted to make sure I gave it enough time.  So the other day, I put one back in my shoe and again, my whole ankle ached at first.  This time though, I left it in.  After a couple of days of walking around with it, it is amazing the difference it’s made.  I am walking normally again most of the time and my pain level has decreased by over 50 percent.  I ran yesterday and could walk afterward.  Progress!

The main issue I’m having now is that I can feel the tendons shifting.  I’ll be walking around normally and all of a sudden, I will start limping.  Luckily, I can usually pop them back into place by walking on my toes for a minute.  It’s annoying but I can live with it for now.  Hopefully time and working on strengthening my ankle will get everything back into place for good.  So, that’s the injury update as of today.  Up and running again, hopefully for good.

Yesterday’s run was seriously sweaty.  I didn’t realize quite how humid it was when we started but by the end I looked like I had gone for a swim.  As I was wringing out my running skirt in the parking lot, my friend just shook his head.  Me + humidity = puddle.  It wasn’t a great run for me by any means, I had to walk a couple of times but luckily I’m still so happy to be out there at all, my slowness and lack of fitness don’t bother me.  My Garmin died in the first half mile, so I can tell myself the reason I had trouble is because we were blazing fast when we were actually running.  Yes… we’ll go with that.  5.3 miles for the day, I’ll take it.

I was late to the cookout last night because I worked.  But luckily there was still a good group out when I got there at 8:45, I grabbed a beer and caught up with everyone.  It’s going be pretty crazy busy through Sunday around here.  Concerts, wine tastings, and races coming up!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s